I have to call bullshit on a lot of the myths out there on health, fitness and nutrition. Now, the Glow For Life team aren’t ‘glow-it-alls’, but in our time we’ve heard a lot of the same diet and exercise myths and ‘facts’ that are actually fabrications. Today we are going to blow your mind when we bust our top 7 most commonly heard health and fitness myths.
- You can out-exercise a bad diet. Real talk. No matter how many kilometres you run, weights you lift, or how fit you are; food is the fuel to your health and weight-loss success and achieving results. For most people, effective fat loss is broken down into 80% nutrition and 20% exercise so what you put into your mouth truly does make a difference and is the core of your results. Steer clear of the office lemonade and laminations, just because you hit the gym 6 days a week doesn't mean you get a dietary hall pass. Get your nutrition in order and the rest will follow.
- Doing crunches burns belly fat. Forget every dodgy infomercial and your temptation to buy an Ab King Pro. This myth is one of my personal pet hates. You cannot pick where your body fat drops off (spot-reduce) by a series of different exercises. Everybody is different and based on your body type, people will lose (and store) fat from different places at different times. No amount of crunches will give you a taut and toned tummy. When training, look at your workout holistically and try to focus on all muscle groups for maximum benefit and results.
- Eating fat makes you fat. It’s true. Eating BAD fat and excess calories makes you fat. But eating good fat is to your absolute benefit. I do waffle on with this one a lot but good saturated fat is crucial for cell production, your brain function and pretty much every other body function you can think of. While you should avoid trans fats, saturated fats (found in avocados, salmon, coconut milk etc.) are great for your body and can actually help you to lose weight.
- You will get too bulky if you weight train. Ladies, throwing weights around at the gym will not turn you into Xena the Warrior Princess or even worse, The Incredible Hulk. You need to produce a hell of a lot of testosterone to add that amount of muscle to your frame. Using weights as a regular part of your training sessions will not only increase your strength but add additional muscle which helps you burn additional fat when you’re resting.
- Squats are bad for your knees. This one is all about form. If done correctly, squats are actually great for your knees. Push off your heels and as you fall into a squat position, try to get deep enough that your thighs are parallel to the ground. If you struggle at first, add some metal plates under your heels to help get your body used to the motion, and improve your form. As your body adjusts, you can remove the plates which will help you get down into a lower position. Squatting will actually help your knees stay healthier for longer as you begin to age.
- Cardio is key for fat loss. If there was a secret fat loss formula, it wouldn’t be cardio on its own. First up for effective fat loss is nutrition, second is adding muscle and cardio by itself sits at number three. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn and the more calories you burn, the closer you are to fat loss. We always recommend a holistic program that looks at your nutrition as well as exercise.
- There is a best time of the day to exercise. There is no ‘optimum time’ for exercise. This is completely personal as the best time to exercise each day is when you can and will exercise with no excuses. While there is a tiny bit of truth in this; you don’t want to be exerting yourself JUST before you to go bed, as long as you’re making the effort to get moving you’re doing great things for your body
Which leads me to the bonus point...
I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR MY HEALTH. My favourite of all myths/excuses. It is not about ‘having’ time it is about making time. If your health is important to you, you will find the time to do what is best for you…
If you would like help with your help and fitness journey GLOW would love to hear from you. We are here to help.